Trained Yellow Belts Think Differently…Ask Blue Eyes
Some folks think for themselves from the first day. Frank Sinatra was one of them. Others learn to think differently. Yellow Belts are process owners and team members who have been taught to think differently. We detail our highly popular Yellow Belt training on our website. While it has been out for many years and reconstituted in many flavors, people remain genuinely interested in this foundation capability.
By way of history, we were the first to develop yellow belt training. Six Sigma Qualtec is the renamed Florida Power & Light’s unregulated subsidiary Qualtec Quality Services. Qualtec housed materials developed when FPL engineers studied under Deming and documented their work. Qualtec was spun off and acquired Six Sigma training materials and client lists. The renamed company developed Yellow Belt from the Deming based materials as a foundation for process owners and members that were part of Six Sigma teams and who were left to manage a process after any improvements were implemented.
Like any classic, the concepts embedded in Yellow Belt remain the foundation for any process improvement program. In fact, we have posted how companies remain devoted to the basics of Operational Excellence methodologies. This devotion to the basics continues to deliver results to a broad base of the organization.
Yellow belt is a distinct and valuable skillset. But a lot of people dont have a good feel for exactly what a yellow belt does and how it can benefit the organization. So, Im going to provide some thoughts here and on some subsequent posts.
As a disclaimer, since we launched Yellow Belt, just like with Black and Green Belts, there have been many others that followed such that there is really no standard out there for a Yellow Belt. So this description is addressing Six Sigma Qualtec’s definition of a Yellow Belt. Yellow Belts really should think and act differently after training so, lets first talk about what yellow belts should be thinking about after training:
- Analyzing real data to drive business decisions, analyzing root cause to drive implementation of the right solutions, and understanding that CI (Lean, Six Sigma, BPM, etc) is all about improving business performance in terms of voice of the customer.
- Identifying and tracking the right metrics (primary, secondary, etc), really understanding process capability and process performance.
- How to practically get and use data and a scientific approach to solve a problem?
- Understanding what a problem is really costing the business, the real cost-of-poor-quality (COPQ)
- Putting in the proper process control mechanisms to sustain improvements over time
- The project selection and prioritization process of the company to assure that the right things are being targeted, things that will make an impact.
Download “Yellow Belts Play a Crucial Role”
The Yellow Belt skillset is a foundation set of quality improvement and process control tools. It is something that can be applied anywhere in the organization and on any process to yield wide-ranging improvements. It is one approach, and an effective one for many, to building a solid foundation for CI in their organization.
Contact me if you want more info or would like to discuss in more detail ….